Palace of Heavenly Purity photo copyrighted by: Brian McMorrow
The Forbidden City situated exactly in the heart of the municipality was home to
24 emperors of the Ming and Qing Dynasties. The construction of the grand palace started in the fourth year of Emperor Yongle of the Ming Dynasty (1406) and ended in 1420. In the ancient time, the emperor claimed to be the son of the heaven and therefore their supreme power was conferred upon them from the heaven. Their residence on the earth was built as a replica of the Purple Palace where the God lived in the Heaven. Such divine place was certain forbidden for the ordinary people and it is why the Forbidden City is so called.
Find more Forbidden City images in the China gallery of Photorena.
All pics are under copyright of the photographer